Saturday, April 19, 2008

Our hospital stay

Well, we are in the hospital. Jack has had a cough for some time now and 3 weeks ago it started to turn into an infection of some sort. We treated with 2 different oral antibiotics and antibiotic injections. The injections worked for 4 days and then everything came back worse than before. Today at our Dr.'s appt. it was decided that we were going to have to be more aggressive and and admit him to the hospital for IV antibiotics. They did a CT scan of his sinuses which revealed a terrible case of sinusitis which apparently is resistant to antibiotics. The poor baby is so good through all this. It could be anywhere from 4 days to 3 weeks. Hopefully if it is going to be longer than 4 days they will be able to find a PICC line small enough for him to replace the IV and then we can do the treatments at home. I really hope so because the treatments are for 15-20 minutes a day and then the rest of the time is spent just hanging out and having the nurses bug him every few hours for vitals. I just can't wait to be home. The really bad news is that they had to put his IV in his foot. Those of you who really know Jack know how that is the end of his world. He spends almost his whole day on his feet standing at his toys and making mommy walk around with him. Today he slept all afternoon but tomorrow will be a different story. Wish us luck!

5 comments:

Crystal M. said...

I hpe Jack is home soon and you can all play together there with no silly nurses checking on him.
Poor Jack and his foot, I know Eva is a hard stick too, once she had the IV in her head. When I saw that I was so sad for her.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

Candi said...

I am so sorry you all are going through this! Luke has been sick lately too and had his own 3 day hospital stay at the beginning of the week. He is feeling much better, but still won't eat.

I just wanted to say that if you end up with a central line it isn't fun, but you get used to it - and it is certainly much better than a long hospital stay just for antibiotics. Luke has had a central line for 7 months. The main worry is infection, but we haven't had any problems with that. It hasn't really held him back any. We just have to be extra careful with bath time (the dressing has to stay sterile) and him not pulling on it or pulling it when he is on his tummy. We also had problems with his skin, but Jack shouldn't have it long enough for that to come up I hope.

Email me if you have any questions or want to see any photos.

I hope things get better for you guys soon!

Take Care!

Ps. Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I have been reading about all our kiddos, but I haven't written in quite a while. I just can't seem to keep up lately.

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

I hope Jack is home from the hospital and feeling better soon. Hospital stays are NO fun!

Hugs,
Leslie & Katie

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that all of you are in my thoughts and prayers. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do or help with.

Beth

Shelly and Luke said...

Hoping Jack is back at home now, healthy and back on his feet. Those hospital stays are no fun! Take care.

Shelly and Luke