Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Marathon of appointments

Yesterday Jack and I headed to Syracuse for 3 appointments in a row. First we saw the nutritionist and the GI. They were really impressed with how Jack is growing. I just had a hard time with his percentage on the growth chart. I see him day to day and he seems sooo big to me! It's almost crushing when I think about my big man and hear the doctors tell me that he is only in the 5th percentile. I really expected more. At least he is still growing. We did have some progress though. We have switched him off of Neocate, which is an elemental formula with all of the protiens broken down, to Vital Jr., which is only partially broken down. So far he has done really well on it. The hope is that if he tolerates the new formula for 6 months then we'll be able to switch him to pediasure. His new formula is really easy because it comes pre-mixed in 8 ounce cans. It is a french vanilla flavor which is a nice switch for us from stinky Neocate. It smells so good I would even drink it. It smells like vanilla cream cookies. yummy!

After those appointments we were able to go and visit all of the wonderful nurses at the NICU who cared so lovingly for Jack. It was so wonderful to see everyone again and for everyone to see Mr. Jack in his handsome man glasses. He has overcome so many obstacles so many people thought would keep him down. It's wonderful for all of the people who brought Jack through the hardest times to get to see him do all of his big boy tricks. I love all of you guys!!!

Then, we went to the Nephrologist (which is Jack's kidney doctor). As usual, Jack freaked out when they tried to take his blood pressure. We got no news but they did discontinue one of his medications. They are going to try to get into the OR on April 9th while he's having surgery to take an accurate blood pressure. Who knew a blood pressure could be so challenging but that's just Jack's style.

1 comment:

Crystal M. said...

Sounds like a very busy day, Eva hates having her blood pressure taken too.
I hope everything goes well!!
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva