Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Blended Diet

We've made some significant changes to Jack's diet! He is almost completely off formula!! We are now giving him real foor blended up through the tube. Anything Philip and I would eat now Jack can eat too! It is such a simple concept but the doctors are so against it. Our pediatrician knows me so well that he agreed to help me through it because he knew that if he disagreed with me I'd still do it anyway. He is now interested in learning more about it. Jack's health has significantly improved since starting real food. We started by adding some applesauce to his formula and over the last 2 months we have transitioned the formula out and now he is on all food during the day. He still gets some formula at night but we have significantly decreased it and it won't be long before it is gone altogether. We've now gotten to the point where we had to purchase a commercial grade blender to get the mixture smooth enough to go through the tube. Luckily for us, the company offers a medical discount for tube fed children. The blender still cost over $300 but now we can make appropriate meals for Jack.

I've been keeping myself busy cooking and freezing all sorts of yummy meals for Jack. They are so delicious that I want to eat them! Right now Philip and I joke that Jack eats better than we do! Just yesterday I made him some fruit bars that had apples, blueberries, cranberries, carrots, and oats. Then I made some potato, spinach, leek puree, and some pasta stars with tomatoes and cheese. It was so much fun!

I really think that for the first time in his life he truly feels food. It has to feel so much better having a full belly of food and not liquid.

3 comments:

Mel said...

That is AWESOME!!!

I'm so glad that not all the doctors are fighting you on this - why were they so against transitioning to real food anyway?

Has Jack started feeding therapy yet?

So much progress already!! I'm so happy to hear about it :)

Melanie

Crystal M. said...

WOW!! That is great!! Jack and his full tummy must be so nice.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

Sherry C said...

Wow i just came across your blog i found your link on an old post you had on the yahoo Tube Feeding group that is amazing your feeding him normal food i never really thought of that for my daughter but it's now under consideration. Jack looks amazing you sound like an awesome mom.