Monday, September 15, 2008

Hurricaine Ike

The effects of Hurricaine Ike has now reached Ithaca, Ny. No, not rain or wind but the reality that we will not be visiting Houston next week. My family was suprised to find that they were one of the firsts to get their power back. Everything was right on track for our trip. Then today a transformer blew because their neighbors allowed their bamboo to overgrow and it touched the transformer. Because of this 10 houses lost power, my parent's house included. There are still millions of people without power in Houston so there is a long list of areas to restore power. They are trying to service grids with the greatest amount of people first. Because they had thier power restored and now there are only 10 houses without power they are last on the list. Their power company is estimating 2-3 weeks before they can get their power restored. We were supposed to go down a week from tomorrow. This is such an upsetting turn of events. We were really looking forward to our visit. My parents haven't seen Jack since July and they wereVery excited to see him walk for the first time. The video just doesn't do it justice. We are hoping the airlines will be able to reschedule our flight. If not, I don't know what we'll do. If Jack wasn't so medically fragile we would go down anyway but he requires power to be able to use his pump, his nebulizer, and charge his suction pump. All things needed to save his life. I'm praying for a miracle.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh no! Amanda that's so sad. =( I hope they get power back sooner than expected! (My parents haven't had power since Friday evening...it's so annoying.) I hope that the airline is cooperative and you can go down and visit relatively soon!

Crystal M. said...

I will pray that all goes well and you are able to go.
I will be thinking about you and let us know what happens.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva