Thursday, January 24, 2008

Yay! Jack is legally blind!!!

I know that is a very strange title. You may be thinking, "What kind of mother would be excited about that?". Well, let me tell you......ME! Now that Jack is finally labled he can get vision services to help him utilize what vision he has. We found out today that he has an upper field of vision loss, which we knew, but now it is oficial. We also found out that he is farsighted. They said he is 20/400. It was interesting because the doctor put the lenses that Jack will need to see clearer on me and showed me how much correction he really needs. When I looked through the lenses the whole room became blurry and my eyes had to work really hard to try to get things in focus. My eyes couldn't even work that hard.

They are going to be sending us a pair of glasses with correction and transition lenses. We are going to work slowly with Jack and at first try a few minutes a day and then work up to him wearing them all the time. It will probably take a while but the doctor said that would be fine. He doesn't want to pressure Jack into wearing them all the time too quickly. We did not get to pick the frames but the ones they tried on him were pretty cute. I'll be sure to post a picture when we get them....of course Jack will probably be screaming but at least you'll get to see the glasses!

We also had a feeding evaluation yesterday. Jack refused to eat anything! He'd just shake his head no if I introduced any food to him. Of course this means we got no new information and we have to make another trip up to Syracuse to try again in 3 weeks. We did find out that Jack is now 32 inches long!!! He's so tall!! He's just growing up so fast. It's sometimes hard to believe that the tiny baby I held a little over a year ago is now this rough, tough, little toddler telling me no no no!

Today is our therapy free day so we are going to enjoy it by playing and running errands! We hope all of you have a nice day!!!

1 comment:

Catherine L said...

hi thanks for the comments re the suction machine (I see Jack doesn't have a trach so was wondering why he needed one). Enjoyed looking at the blog and this, like Amy's recent post, is an interestingly titled one as you say!